Wednesday, September 16, 2009

She's a Teenager Today

Seven years ago, after only a few weeks of dating, Justin decided it was time I meet his mom and sister. I remember pulling up in their driveway when Justin looked at me and said, "My sister is really shy. Don't be offended if she doesn't speak to you." We got out of the car and walked up to the porch. All of a sudden the back door swung open and this confident little girl with beautiful long hair skipped out, put her hands on her hips and said, "I know who you are. You're Angie." I've loved her ever since.
When we first met, Sierra was 5-years-old...going on 25. That little girl would always tell it like it is. She'd roll her eyes and cross those arms...DIVA!
Three things I learned very early on about Sierra:
  1. She hated food. At dinner time, there would be drama...you could count on it.
  2. She loved to argue and that child wasn't backing down even if she knew she was wrong. I can hear her and Mrs. Marilyn now...oh boy!
  3. She's a charmer. If she wanted something bad enough, she knew just how to get it...especially from her big brother's.

Justin and I spent many evenings over at their house while we were dating. We would play bored games, have a barbie fashion show, or just hang out in Sierra's room while she'd boss Justin around. The 16 years age difference between them didn't mean a thing to her. She was like a little mama ordering him around.
When we ate dinner at their house, Sierra would always sit right next to me. One evening, after only a few months of dating, Sierra looked over at my plate and loudly exclaimed, "WOW, you really were hungry." I wanted to die. I remember one night we were playing with Sierra and Justin, poor thing, had this huge zit on his forehead. Sierra looked at him and scolded, "Justin, mama says you shouldn't scratch mosquito bites or they will never heal." He and I were crying we were laughing so hard. She just kept this serious look on her face and kept saying, "I'm serious!"

When Justin and I moved to Georgia, I missed our visits over there so much. Justin and I always tried to see her when we came home for vacations and holidays. Every time we came home she seemed to have grown and mature so much.It seems like we just celebrated her 10th birthday.Now she's in the 8th grade taking high school algebra classes. Did I mention that she's smarter than me?Sierra is now an aunt.I am going to blink my eyes and Garrett will be begging for Aunt Sierra to come pick him up to take him out because she's cooler than me.
Sierra,

Happy 13th Birthday! We love you very much. You are growing up to be such a smart and talented girl. We are so proud of you!

Love,

Justin, Angie, and Garrett

Oh...one more thing...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is for that comment you made about my big plate of food 7 years ago. Ok, now we're even.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Awww Angie that was so sweet! Happy Birthday Sierra! We love you:)

Unknown said...

Aw Angie thank you so much!! Those pictures feel like they were taken just yesterday! :) and thank you too, Jamie! Ya'll kiss Garrett and Hayden for me!

Anonymous said...

How cute! She is so beautiful! Happy Birthday, Sierra!

Angela P said...

Very sweet! I have not known Sierra anywhere near as long as you and I have watched her grow into a beautiful young woman. You all have an awesome family. You are blessed! : )

Heather said...

aww so sweet! Happy Birthday Sierra!!!!