Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Garrett's 1st Haircut

We've been debating for weeks whether or not we should cut Garrett's hair. As precious as those waves and curls are on the back of his head, all the scraggly long strands hanging in his face and over his ears were starting to drive me crazy! I tried trimming just the long strands but it only made it worse. So, since Justin was in need of a trim himself, we decided to take Garrett along so he could get his first real haircut.

When my brother was little, my parents would take him to the Grifton Barber Shop for Mr. Jimmy Williams to cut his hair. I always loved going to watch him zip through TJ's shaggy hair with his clippers and brush the little hair clippings off of his client's shoulders with that huge brush. I thought it would be very nostalgic to take my little boy there for his first haircut.

I came prepared with a sucker to hopefully distract Garrett from this intimidating experience. Justin got his hair cut first so Garrett could watch and see that it wasn't scary. When it was Garrett's turn, Justin stood next to him to help hold him still. I stood back to capture the big moment and catch all the sweet, precious hair clippings falling from my baby's head to save for his baby book.
Garrett did pretty good for the first few minutes. Then he started to get a little overwhelmed with all the hands on him holding him down.
I thought for a minute we would have to stop and leave with only half of his hair cut but Mr. Jimmy's a pro and he was able to coax Garrett through the whole ordeal.
I was very proud of my little man. He did better than I expected and his new cut is SO stinkin cute! Justin and I can't help but smile at his big boy haircut. We walked into that barber shop with our baby and walked out with our little boy. (sniff, sniff)

2 comments:

bopeep said...

Angie, that was so sweet to take him to Grifton to get his first hair cut......he really looks like a BIG BOY now.
Prayers, Bo

Jamie said...

Aww I love the classic Barber Shop photo! His hair cut is adorable! I can't wait to see that little stinker!