Monday, November 30, 2009

Gingerbread House

I thought it would be fun to construct a gingerbread house this holiday season. I've never done it before so while Sierra was over at the house, I decided to put her to work as my assistant.
Oh, the gingerbread dough smelled soooo good! It took all I had not to shove a big ole hunk of it right in my mouth. Have I ever told you about my strange love and weakness for dough? Biscuit dough, cookie dough, cake batter, cornbread batter, any kind of dough, any kind of batter...I love it all. I know it may sound nasty but I've eaten that stuff all my life. My mama tried to stop me by telling me it would give me worms. Do you think that stopped me? HA! Ask my husband. He thinks I've lost my mind when he walks into the kitchen and sees me with a mouth full of biscuit dough. Anyway...moving on.
I found a basic gingerbread house template on the Internet and used it to cut out all the pieces.
After baking the gingerbread, I let it sit over night on the counter so it would be nice and hard when it was time to construct our house.
Once the house was standing (after a few bumps and hiccups), Mrs. Marilyn, Sierra, and I had so much fun adding all the extras. Let me tell ya, the creativity was a flowing in that kitchen! We were squealing and giggling like little girls over our ideas.Garrett wanted to get his hands on that house some kinda bad! He spent most of his time down by our feet like a little vulture waiting for any candy that we dropped.
A little "snow" on top for the finishing touch.
Isn't it darling?!?!
We had a blast putting this gingerbread house together. However, I have asked my mother-in-law to pop me upside my head if I try to attempt this again next year. Whew!

6 comments:

Laura said...

That is so cool! I have never done a gingerbread house either and have always wanted to try it. I probably would have bought a boxed kit from the grocery store though haha...your homemade one was inspiring. maybe next year i'll try? :)

lauravandiford said...

I love it! Martha ain't got nothin on you!

The Harrison's said...

Thanks ya'll! I thought it would seem more unique and original if I made it from scratch. After this experience, I think buying one of the kits is the way to go. I don't think it added anything other than a big headache! haha! It was fun though. I would encourage anyone to try it.

Jamie said...

WOW! Now that's a gingerbread house! I made one from a boxed kit, but the walls wouldn't stay together!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are so creative! My grandma would buy a kit for my sister and I to put together with her so this year, I thought I would keep the tradition going and have Tanner decorate. Well, we didn't even get that far. The dern walls kept collapsing so I just tossed it in the trash. You are da bomb woman. I love yours!

Joseph Dunson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.